Kawartha Community Church
Covid 19 Safety Plan
Date completed: November 26, 2020
Revised: Aug 28, 2021
In compliance with Peterborough Public Health guidelines for faith-based organizations, Kawartha Community Church has developed a comprehensive COVID-19 Safety Plan. The following policies implemented are safety measures to prevent the spread of the virus and to protect the health and wellbeing of employees, patrons, and our community.
Please do not enter the building if:
- You have any cold or flu-like symptoms no matter how minor.
- You have been in contact with anyone who has symptoms or tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 14 days.
- You have travelled internationally in the last 14 days.
Limited access to the church building:
- Sunday gatherings are limited to 50% of the buildings seating capacity per room.
For the purposes of this Order, the maximum number of members of the public permitted in a business or facility, or part of a business or facility, that is operating in an indoor setting at 50 per cent capacity is determined by taking 50 per cent of the maximum occupant load of the business or facility, or part of a business or facility, as applicable, as calculated in accordance with Ontario Regulation 213/07 (Fire Code), made under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997.
- Pre-registeration is required to be allowed entry. Registration will be used for contact tracing.
- Only staff and authorized volunteers are allowed in the building during the week.
- Most ministry meetings have moved to online meetings via Zoom.
- Staff members work from home to minimize contact.
- Self assessments must be completed each day by staff and patrons either online at the Ontario provincial site at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/, or onsite using “NEW 2021 Self Assessment pdf.pdf”.
- Individuals experiencing any symptoms of illness, including but not limited to COVID-19 symptoms, are asked not to enter the building.
- Both onsite and online services are available.
Physical distancing is being maintained:
- Signs encouraging 2-meter distancing are posted at the entrance, exit and throughout the church building.
- Doors will open at 9:45am with physical distancing markings.
- A Plexiglass barrier is in place at our welcome registration table.
- We ask patrons to refrain from hugging, handshaking and to remain 6 feet apart from those who are not part of their immediate social circle.
- One sanctuary door is marked “Enter Only” and the other “Exit Only”.
- Signs encouraging only 2 persons per time allowed in the washroom at any one time. Please sanitize before entering and exiting the washrooms.
- Any fellowship time will need to take place outside of the building.
- No beverages or food are served on a weekly basis.
- We have two offering baskets on the table near the exit. We also have a debit machine station, with proper sanitation, in the hallway that can be used before or after service in place of taking up a regular offering. The preferred method of giving is via e transfer to Kawartha Community Church through email@example.com. It is also possible to give via Canada Helps at https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/kawartha-community-church/.
- Children will be required to remain with their parents as we are unable to safely provide children’s ministry at this time.
Self Assessments are done by every person who enters the church building before each visit.
- We screen visitors and staff before each visit for health issues. Patrons must take the self assesement test before attending a service. All staff and volunteers must also take the seft assement before coming to the church service or building.
- Self Assessments are available on the Ontario provincial website at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/. Covid self assessment signage (using “NEW 2021 Self Assessment pdf.pdf”), is posted at all entrances within the building and at all registration stations.
- Workers/Visitors who are sick or have signs of illness (e.g. fever, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, tiredness, shortness of breath) are told to self-isolate.
- If anyone develops symptoms of COVID-19, we implement procedures for reporting the illness to the church office and then to Peterborough Public Heath.
Sanitation/Cleaning is being maintained:
- Frequently touched surfaces and shared objects are cleaned and disinfected in between uses. All surfaces including chair fabric are sanitized with hospital grade cleaning products that have been endorsement by Health Canada as being affective against covid-19 before and after each service by our staff and volunteers.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer of 70% or more is available at all entrances and exits and throughout the establishment, for use of all persons entering or exiting.
- The Christian Victory Church building, including the area rented by Kawartha Community Church, is sanitized and disinfected thoroughly every Tuesday and Thursday by paid cleaning staff. They use hospital grade cleaning products that have been endorsement by Health Canada as being effective against covid-19 including Oxivir Tb on all fabric surfaces, Quattro 44 as an all-purpose disinfectant, and 3 in 1 Avmor Disinfecting all purpose glass cleaner for our glass surfaces.
- Staff and volunteers are encouraged to practice proper hand washing. Hand washing is one of the best ways to minimize the risk of infection. Proper hand washing helps prevent the transfer of infectious material from the hands to other parts of the body — particularly the eyes, nose, and mouth — or to other surfaces that are touched. Proper hand washing technique is described as follows:
Wash your hands immediately:
- Before starting and when leaving the church
- After handling materials that may be contaminated
- After touching your face
Hand washing procedure:
Use soap and warm running water. (It doesn’t have to be hot to do the job.) If water is unavailable, use a waterless hand cleanser that has at least 60% alcohol. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use the cleanser. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer dispensers are located at various locations throughout the Church.
Facemasks are REQUIRED to be worn at any time within the building:
Christian Victory Church and Kawartha Community Church have implemented a policy on mandatory facial coverings within our establishment. Facemasks are available and provided by Kawartha Community Church free of cost to anyone that needs one while attending services in the building. We also provide facemasks free of cost to all volunteers and staff when in the building.
The scope of this policy is the following:
- Persons who enter or remain in the indoor public space of Kawartha Community Church are required to wear a face covering that covers the nose, mouth, and chin.
- The face covering must be worn inside Kawartha Community Church at all times, unless it is reasonably required to temporarily remove the face covering for services provided by Kawartha Community Church (such as Leading in Worship, Preaching, making announcements or eating or drinking communion).
- A person shall be exempt from wearing a face covering in Kawartha Community Church if:
- The person is a child under the age of two years; or is a child under the age of five years either chronologically or developmentally and he or she refuses to wear a face covering and cannot be persuaded to do so by their caregiver;
- The person is incapacitated and unable to remove their face covering without assistance.
- Visible signage indicating that face coverings are required inside Kawartha Community Church are posted at all entrances and exits and within the building.
- All employees and leadership will receive training on the policy, learn how to respond to anyone who arrives without a face covering or removes their face covering while inside Kawartha Community Church.
Contact Tracing is maintained:
Contact tracing is the process of identifying all people that a COVID-19 patient has come in contact with in the last two weeks. The following procedures have been put in place regarding contact tracing;
- Before entering the building, each person must provide Kawartha Community Church with their name and contact information. Pre-registeration in advance of our services is available on our website at https://www.kawarthachurch.com.
- All records are kept, both hard copies and electronic copies, for a duration of 2 months on file with Kawartha Community Church by service date.
- All volunteers/staff/worship team members must register at the welcome registration table prior to their shift. They must register with name and phone number, sanitize, pick up their PPE, take the self assessment NEW 2021 Self Assessment pdf.pdf and have their temperature taken before each shift.
- In line with the Peterborough Health reporting requirements, we will let the congration and staff know if the Peterborough Public Health notifies Kawartha Community Church of a confirmed case of COVID-19.
PPE (personal protective equipment):
- Gloves, hand santizer, and facemasks, are provided by Kawartha Community Church for all staff and volunteers.
- Facemasks are provided free of charge to all patrons.
- A Plexi Glass barrier has been put in place at our welcome registration desk.
Regularly check in with public health updates and retrain/revise practices as needed.
Train staff on the policy including how to respond to the various circumstances:
- Parishioner arrived without a facial covering because they forgot or don’t have one
- Parishioner who is exempt from wearing a facial covering
- Parishioner wanting more information about the policy
- Parishioner who becomes aggressive about the new requirement
- Parishioner wanting information about the importance of wearing a facial covering or the science on the use of facial coverings
- Parishioner asking about the availability of alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol concentration)
We hope this information has helped you as you make plans to join us at Kawartha Community Church for a Sunday Gathering. We will do our very best to ensure that you and your family feel safe and welcome. Church may look a little different, but it is so good to be able to gather together again. We can’t wait to see you!